Hyena Race

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
Monatae

Hyena Race

Postby Monatae » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:24 pm

I can't sleep, so I made a fey race more along the line of orcs and gnolls. *shrugs* I'll probably add some feats and such later.

HYENA

Hyenas are brutal and dangerous fey who make the wastelands of Everglow their home. Small villages made of crude huts belie the depth and complexity of the hyena social system. Villages are led by a single matriarch, usually the physically strongest female, but below her are 5 distinct social groups which function together to ensure every hyena has their duty and their place. One village will lay claim to a large area of territory around it, with occasional skirmishes with other villages settling where precisely one village's territory ends and another's begins. A lone hyena is easily overcome, but may the goddesses help any pony who crosses a village, for they will never safely step hoof in that territory again.

Hyenas' social discipline makes them naturally inclined to be lawful, but their devotion is to their village above all else. This leads most hyenas to be lawful neutral. Hyenas who resist this order, or who fail in the duties of their station, are driven from the village's territory with no mercy. Such hyenas occasionally join other villages, but many choose instead to venture further, out of the wastes. These will often join bands of adventurers, devoting themselves to their new allies with wild ferocity and steadfast loyalty.

Hyenas favor primal-sounding compound names like Bonecruncher, Longtooth, Quickpaw, or Skullcracker.

Type: fey (hyena)
Size: Medium
Speed: 40 feet quadrupedal, 10 feet bipedal (unlike other fey races, hyenas struggle greatly to maintain their balance on only two legs)
Ability Scores: +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int

Carrion-eater (Ex): Food is scarce in the wastelands, so hyenas must eat whatever the village can get. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against disease, ingested poisons, and becoming nauseated or sickened.

Bone-crushing Jaws (Ex): Hyenas are infamous for their powerful jaws. They have a natural bite attack that deals 1d8 damage.

Terrifying Laughter (Su): Once per hour as a standard action, a hyena can emit a peal of high pitched laughter. Any creature who can hear it (other than other hyenas) must make a successful Will saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 character level + Charisma modifier) or become shaken for 1d4 rounds. A target that successfully saves cannot be affected by that hyena's terrifying laughter for 24 hours, though a different hyena can still affect it. Creatures that are already shaken become frightened for 1d4 rounds instead. This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect.

Like other fey, hyenas are quadrupeds, which gives them a +4 bonus against Trip combat maneuvers. Hyenas' paws are not dexterous enough to manipulate items, so they use the same fingerless rules as ponies.

Monatae

Re: Hyena Race

Postby Monatae » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:57 pm

here, have a few Favored Class Bonuses. more later, when insomnia inevitably returns.

Druid: add +1/2 to the damage dealt by the druid's animal companion's bite attacks

Fighter: add +1/3 to the fighter's Carrion-eater bonus.

Monk: add +1 to the amount of hp healed by Wholeness of Body.

Ranger: choose a natural attack. add +1/2 on critical hit confirmation rolls made for that attack (maximum bonus of +5). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus.

Rogue: add a +1/2 bonus on stealth and perception checks while in the wilderness.

Sorcerer: add +1/2 to the number of creatures you can choose not to affect with your Terrifying Laughter.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:37 am

So they're like gnolls, but not?

Monatae

Postby Monatae » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:41 am

Haha, I'm honestly not sure what they are at this point. I get pretty odd when I'm exhausted. I do rpg stuff to keep my mind off of things that make me anxious.

Return to “Houserules”