5e Conversion: Satyrs

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
VoidDrifter

5e Conversion: Satyrs

Postby VoidDrifter » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:57 pm

So, I quite enjoy the various "Satyrs" races in Ponyfinder, both the Pony/Human and the Purrsian/Human, but when it comes to mechanics, I'm more of a fan of 5e than of Pathfinder. So, seeing as this is the houserules forum, I thought I'd see if I could get some critique and suggestions for better translating them. I've got both the "basic" 5e Ponyfinder translation that was released on DriveThruRPG and the relevant sourcebooks open as I write this, but I'm something of a newcomer to this matter, so I'll deeply appreciate any suggestions and advice that can be offered on this matter.

Speaking of Pony Satyrs, though... why the hell were they not included in Tribes of Everglow? Seriously! Every single relevant tribal entry that has unique pony satyrs mentions it, but there's not a single satyr statline to be found in the book. Do you have any idea how confusing that makes it? There are some... "traditions" of 3e and Pathfinder that Ponyfinder could stand to abandon, and the spreading of rules that should be concentrated together over multiple rulebooks without any indication where they are is one of them.

Also, is the Purrsian-Human Satyr supposed to suffer -2 Wisdom like the Purrsian-Pony Satyr? Forgotten Past is unclear.

Anyway, on to the rules. I don't know if it's allowed or not to post the "original rules" for comparison as I write this, so I've left them out, to be on the safe side.

Before anyone points it out, yes, I know that there's a Zebra Satyr option in the Tribes of Everglow sourcebook. But since all it does is sacrifice the Blend of Views trait to gain Cunning Linguist, which is a pretty useless if not non-existent trait in 5e, I'm completely stumped about incorporating it. Discussions on using it will be appreciated.

I'm also interested in converting hippogriffs and "ponycats" (purrsian/pony satyrs) at some point, but first things first.. hell, the griffons need a 5e writeup before hippogriffs can come along.

5e 1st Draft: Satyrs
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Lowlight Vision
Blend of Views: A Satyr has Advantage on Charisma (Diplomacy) and Charisma (Bluff) checks.
Child of Two Worlds: Satyrs come in many forms, all based on the union of human and beastkinder. Choose the Earthern, Winged, Horned, Aquatic, Ghost Pony, Short-Legs, Ruminant or Purrsian sub-race. Your sub-race determines your ability score modifier and additional racial traits.

Earthern Sub-Race:
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +1 Strength
Earthen Vitality: You increase your maximum hit points by +1. You further increase your maximum hit points by +1 each time that you gain a character level. You also have Advantage on saving throws vs. Poison and Resistance to Poison.

Winged Sub-Race:
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Constitution
Flight: You have a Fly speed of 30 feet, although you cannot use this ability if you are wearing Medium Armor or Heavy Armor.

Horned Sub-Race:
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom
Unicorn Magic: You have the Distant Focus racial trait, as per a Unicorn. If your Intelligence score is at least 11, you also know 1 Cantrip of your choice from the Wizard or Sorcerer spell lists. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability score for this Cantrip.

Aquatic Sub-Race:
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +1 Charisma
Born to the Wave: You have a Swim speed of 30 feet and Advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks made for swimming.
Amphibious: You can breathe air and water with equal ease.

Ghost Pony Sub-Race:
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Wisdom
Ethereal Strike: Any weapon or unarmed strikes that you make are treated as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance of creatures with the Incorporeal Movement trait.

Short-Leg Sub-Race:
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Constitution
Chibi: Your Size category is Small rather than Medium.
Unearthly Cuteness: You know the Friends cantrip and can use it at will. At third level, you learn the Charm Person spell and can use it with this trait once per long rest. At fifth level, you learn the Enthrall spell and can use it with this trait once per long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability in all cases. You are treated as a spellcaster with level equal to your class level for determining spell slots that you may use to enhance Charm Person and Enthrall.

Ruminant Sub-Race:
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, +1 Dexterity
Antlered: Your unarmed strikes do 1d6 damage.
Swift-Running: Your movement speed is 40 feet instead of 30 feet.
Mystical Blood: You know one Cantrip of your choice from the Wizard or Sorcerer spell-list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability score for this Cantrip.

Purrsian Sub-Race:
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity
Flight: You have a Fly speed of 30 feet, although you cannot use this ability if you are wearing Medium Armor or Heavy Armor.

David
Site Admin

Re: 5e Conversion: Satyrs

Postby David » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:13 pm

You are kind to the winged sub-racem but then 5e balancing works out different, so I think it's alright.

VoidDrifter

Re: 5e Conversion: Satyrs

Postby VoidDrifter » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Yeah, the only comparable race in 5e so far is the Aaracockra, which gets claws that do d6 damage for its unarmed strikes and the ability to fly 50 feet per round in exchange for not being able to fly in anything heavier than light armor. Combined with the fact that both Horned and Purrsian Satyrs in Ponyfinder are pretty much "vanilla satyrs with Gliding Wings and Fly", respectively, I didn't have much to go by.

Return to “Houserules”