Cavalier Archtype

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
Sun Dial

Cavalier Archtype

Postby Sun Dial » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:38 pm

Sky Watch - Cavalier Arch type
Preq: Has a flight speed.

Wind Rider - Gain a personalized Saddle Rack, that if sold is worth 1 gold and can be used as a banner. Gain the Strong Wings Feat even if you don’t have the prereq’s. This replaces Mount.

Weather Manager - Teamwork feats that you participate in have a caster level of +1 and work as if you had an additional participant (if they have at least one other participant). This replaces Expert trainer.

This is probably too specific, but the Pegasi have some super cool teamwork feats, and this way you can play cavalier without any downside and get the Pegasi teamwork feats to be more then just fringe flavor, due to the already nice little focus cavaliers have on them. Biggest issue with this change is the strong wings feat at level 1 is very nice, and might be worth a level to all martial classes just so they can get a free saddle wrack and a minumum level 5 feat that's got 2 feat prereq. So its too easy to abuse, but cutting off a Cavaliers AC is a really bad thing to do.

David
Site Admin

Re: Cavalier Archtype

Postby David » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:40 pm

Feels underpowered. The loss of a mount is a huge thing to basically gain the equivalent of a feat.

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:02 pm

Hmmm... I would say its about the equivalent of what a Ranger trades out for an animal companion, but the bonuses a druid gets for trading are crazy. Hmmmm... funny, and here I was concerned it was too strong.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:16 pm

What does a ranger get for an animal companion?

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Spend a move action to give allies in 30ft half your Favored Enemy bonus.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:36 pm

That can scale up to more than a feat easily, which yours doesn't, is the thing there.

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:45 am

So my first draft is pretty bad and doesn't take into account alot of things. I'll admit that its pretty horrible.

I'm curious though, would it break the game for class feature be, "You are considered a mount for all feat and feat related actions." The only two things I can see that would give some issue is that you could make Ride checks and substitute those for your saving throws and AC. Granted, that's potentially super exploitable. I'll have to run the numbers and see if its that bad.

(Problem Feats)
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-fe ... mbat-local
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-fe ... at---final

They both still force you to put skill points into areas that aren't amazing though.

(Don't know how deep you looked into this, but its funny how what should be such and easy class to "ponify" has all sorts of problems.)

CraziFuzzy

Postby CraziFuzzy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:21 am

I think a great replacement for Mount (which would be a silly ability for any ponykind), would be 'Rider'. A cohort style companion that rides the pony and provides various utility bonuses. Small creature - thinking a purplish Kobold :moustache: would be perfect..

Steel_Prism

Postby Steel_Prism » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 am

No that's a funny twist to it so they almost be like a familiar that just so happens to be riding you.

lonewolf23k

Postby lonewolf23k » Tue May 03, 2016 10:49 am

I've recently become aware of an official Paizo Cavalier Archetype for Centaurs, the Charger, which replaces the Mount with a few special traits for Centaur and other "Taur" like creatures. Shouldn't be too hard to adapt the concept to Quadrupeds like Ponies: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-cl ... er-centaur

It's just that Pony Cavaliers use Saddle Racks to hold their Lances.

Return to “Houserules”