Doppelganger Revision (MLP:FiM Changelings)

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
EquestrianScholar

Doppelganger Revision (MLP:FiM Changelings)

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:17 pm

Changelings
Where others see a pony, the truth lurks beneath the flesh. Pony society plays unwitting host to a discreet set of shapeshifters, you among them. You draw small amounts of energy from others by proximity, though perhaps different motivations draw you to adventuring. Though Changelings tend more towards selfish alignments, individuals can seek greater things, despite their origin. Flutterpony legend holds that the Changeling are their fallen kin, twisted by dark magic.
Changelings Racial Traits:
Type: Fey (changeling)
Racial Traits:
Ability Scores: +2 Charisma, -2 Strength
Medium-size: As Medium-size creatures, changelings have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size
Fast Speed: Changelings have a base speed of 40 feet, and a bipedal speed of 20 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Ponies see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
Flight: Changelings have a fly speed of 30 feet with clumsy maneuverability.
Shapeshifting (Su): You have a specific pony shape that you can take at will. You gain a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks to appear as that pony.
Deceptive: A changeling gets a +2 racial bonus on bluff and disguise checks.
Fingerless: See fingerless rules.
Quadruped: Due to being four-legged, ponykind receive +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense against trip attacks and +50% carrying capacity.
Languages: Common and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: A changeling with high intelligence scores may choose Griffin, Deerish, and Undercommon

Emotion Eater
Prerequisites: changeling, 13 Cha, Diplomacy 7
Whenever a changeling stays in the company of one who has an attitude of Helpful towards them for 3 hours, they may force their victim to pass a DC 10 + 1/2 level + Cha modifier, will negates, and if failed they take 1d4 Wis temporary damage. A changeling gains a +1 temporary bonus to all saves and spellcasting DC checks for every point their victim loses to Wis, and can stay transformed for a number of hours equal to the same amount. This ability can be used 1/day plus 1 addition time per 4 levels.

Greater Deception
Prerequisites: changeling, 13 Cha, Disguise 7
You can add a +8 bonus when making a roll for disguise checks but only when Shapeshifting is used, which stacks with the deception and shapeshifting ability.

Greater Emotion Eater
Prerequisites: changeling, 15 Cha, Diplomacy 9, Emotion Eater
The DC to save against the ability Emotion Eater increases to DC by an additional +2, will negates, and if they fail the victim takes 1d6 Wis. This otherwise follows the rules of the Emotion Eater ability, or alternatively in combat it can be used by passing an Intimidation check to demoralize the victim. Lastly, mattering the Wis damage taken, the victim becomes either Sickened (1-3), Dazed (4-5), or Nauseous (6). This ability can be used a number of times equal to 1/day plus 1 addition time per 4 levels.

Hidden Spell
Prerequisites: changeling, Still Spell, Silent Spell, Spellcraft 11, caster level 10
Benefit: The feats Still Spell and Silent Spell can be used without increasing increasing casting time or spell level, and anyone trying to identify a spell cast by one with this feat adds a +10 penalty to such rolls.

Adept Shapeshifting
While even immature Changeling ponies can imitate one form, you have learned how to take on new roles, giving you much improved flexibility.
Prerequisite: Changeling, Shapeshifting racial trait.
Benefit: You may imitate any ponykind that you have seen, gaining +10 to Disguise checks to appear as that particular pony. This works otherwise like your usual shapeshifting ability.

Rapid Shapeshifting
You change in almost the blink of an eye, allowing you to assume new forms in the midst of other activities.
Prerequisite: Changeling, Adept Shapeshifting, character level 5th.
Benefit: When you change forms, you do so as a move action instead of standard.
Last edited by EquestrianScholar on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

TheJar

Re: Doppelganger Revision (MLP:FiM Changelings)

Postby TheJar » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:02 pm

!!!! Changeling Supplemental material!!!!

:yay;

Also, I recommend three things:

1) You should have odd stat requirements for feats. Its DnD tradition and (perhaps more importantly) it rewards players who decided to take that in-between step toward a new mod. For the feats you have suggested, I would recommend changing the Cha requirements from 14 to 13 and from 16 to 15.

Also, for skills it is generally a better idea to make it available at a rank requirement consistent with a level you receive a feat. As such, I would change the 6 rank reqs to 5 rank reqs and the 10 rank req to 9 ranks.

2)
Emotion Eater
Prerequisites: changeling, 14 Cha, Diplomacy 6
Whenever a changeling stays in the company of one who has an attitude of Helpful towards them for 3 hours, they may force their victim to pass a DC 10 + 1/2 level + Cha modifier, will negates, and if failed they take 1d4 Wis temporary damage. A changeling gains a +1 temporary bonus to all saves and spellcasting DC checks for every point their victim loses to Wis, and can stay transformed for a number of hours equal to the same amount. This ability can be used 1 time per day.

Its a powerful feat but requires quite a bit of setup. A lot of abilities allow multiple uses, as such for here I would recommend going with Cha mod times per day or maybe 1/day plus 1 addition time per 4 levels or something. Even for a strong debuff/buff, once a day is pretty unhelpful, especially with the time you need to set things up. Maybe also think about changing the buff to half of the d4 (rounded up) for the spellcasting buff (same rule would apply to Greater EE).

3)
Greater Emotion Eater
Prerequisites: changeling, 16 Cha, Diplomacy 10, Emotion Eater
The DC to save against the ability Emotion Eater increases to DC by an additional +2, will negates, and if they fail the victim takes 1d6 Wis. This otherwise follows the rules of the Emotion Eater ability. Also, mattering the Wis damage taken the victim becomes either Sickened (1-3), Dazed (4-5), or Nauseous (6). This ability can be used a number of times equal to half the changeling's Cha ability modifier.

Same as what I said before for Emotion Eater but have it only require the target be friendly (for combat enchantment practicality, thus making changelings who have reached this tier master manipulators) in order to use the ability. Also, Cha times per day or 1 plus 1/4 character lvs still makes more sense here. The d6 for affliction mechanic is neat and reminds me of 5e playtest maneuver fighter lol. That said, maybe replace it with something more uniform (if they fail then they are Dazed and if they fail by 5 they are Nauseous)?

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:03 pm

I made a few of the chances you suggested, but I was a bit reserved doing such. For example, I don't want Emotion Eater to be available at level 5 because I don't want to to be a feat that can be taken by those just starting in the campaign. Especially you were the one who expressed interest in the feat Emotion Eater and I said no because the skill requirement was 6, among other reasons, as such I actually went up to 7 not down. I also took a different path with Greater Emotion Eater, tell me what you think.

TheJar

Postby TheJar » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:56 pm

I'm fine with that, I wasn't trying to convince you to lower the read for my sake, just make them more in line with PF (hence, odd ranks).

Will look at it tonight.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:53 am

TheJar wrote:Will look at it tonight.

Still want to look this over?

TheJar

Postby TheJar » Tue May 05, 2015 12:17 pm

I recommend making Emotion Eater and Greater EE a progression rather than a new abilitym which is just a language change that doesnt effect the ability (unless you intended them to be used separately). I would also recommend an "Extra Helpings" feat which, like all the other pathfinder 'Extra' feats, gives you additional uses of EE/Greater EE (probably 3 extra uses, that's what the other ones do). Maybe Greater gives the option to blow a second use to use it on a target that is not Helpful (thus rewarding social players but not leaving them without an option if they are at a disadvantage or haven't had time to set things up).

Damn these feats are sexy.

I may play a changeling rogue/charm-based caster if you ever do another PF game.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Fri May 08, 2015 11:59 am

Hmm, possibly... though I'm not sure how I would do so. The thing is that Greater Emotion Eater offers that which the first feat does not. More, don't forget there are other feats that have an improved, 'Greater' version of what the first feat offers. If you have a write up that could work I might consider having it replace the first feat.

The 'Extra' uses feats though apply to class abilities if I remember correctly, though perhaps I am wrong. Have an example of racial abilities getting extra uses? If so, I would be fine if you offer a possible feat write up.

Return to “Houserules”