Dragon PCs; what are your thoughts?

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
lonewolf23k

Re: Dragon PCs; what are your thoughts?

Postby lonewolf23k » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:01 am

One good replacement for Pathfinder dragons would be the Taninin from Rite Publishing's "In the Company of Dragons". Just drop the scale color types and just say that Dragons come in any scale color, regardless of alignment or energy type.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy98db?In-the-Company-of-Dragons

AnarchCassius

Postby AnarchCassius » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Complete 20 level classes for Metallic and Chromatic Dragons. These classes seperated dragon PCs entirely from the usual age-related spectrum, instead making their age classes something tied to their levels.

I wasn't uber-thrilled with that. Council of Wyms had even weirder issues but you had to acquire the age, exp, and treasure for the next category than hibernate. They also had really weird rules for handling classes.

The way I'd handle it for a True Dragon would be starting the PC at a fair level as a monster class dragon and once they hit the next "even" age category they could take class levels. Basically, until you reach the starting HD+ECL for a wyrmling that's all you can take levels in.

Once you hit that threshold I'd let them still take Dragon levels too, but I wouldn't let them reach the next age category until they'd lived long enough. (Forget the treasure stuff from CoW).

For Ponyfinder I'm seriously leaning toward your initial idea... possibly with a 12 level prestige or racial class to handle aging and give them some standard dragon flavor. That would be how I'd handle the big uns under such a scheme.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:35 pm

I feel that Ponyfinder should have their own dragons, ones that follow different rules from that of Pathfinder.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:56 pm

Maybe...

Tamara Henson

Postby Tamara Henson » Wed May 13, 2015 11:00 am

This is what I came up with. This is just a prototype version so any changes that you think may be needed are welcome.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/265218781/The-Krat-A-Draconic-Race-for-Pathfinder

I based them on the dragon fay of northern Europe that I summarized in my blog here
http://cryptodraco.blogspot.com/2013/03/dragonets-firelizards-and-faerie-dragons.html

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed May 13, 2015 11:05 am

Nice work.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Wed May 13, 2015 6:25 pm

The MLP dragon characters (Spike, Garble, and others) aren't small. They'd be Medium. Well I guess Spike would be small, but that's due to him being a young dragon, he hasn't reached his teenage years like Garble

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Wed May 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Tamara Henson wrote:This is what I came up with. This is just a prototype version so any changes that you think may be needed are welcome.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/265218781/The-Krat-A-Draconic-Race-for-Pathfinder

I based them on the dragon fay of northern Europe that I summarized in my blog here
http://cryptodraco.blogspot.com/2013/03/dragonets-firelizards-and-faerie-dragons.html

Nice, so how would you suggest building Spike with the rules you have?

I'm thinking an fire dragon, since red-violet is the closest to Spike's color and he breaths fire. He would have the alternate racial trait Dragon-Scaled, since Spike is resistant to fire. He would have the feats Helpful Spirit and Domestic Spirit for sure, though I am not sure about class.

Tamara Henson

Postby Tamara Henson » Tue May 19, 2015 10:43 am

Silly me, I just noticed that I forgot the breath weapon for Earth element. It is a cone of crystalline stone shards as in the crystal dragon.

Fire fits Spike as his purple coloring is closer to the red spectrum (it is rather pinkish) than to the violet blues of the other elements. Of course the colors are just suggestions to fit with the elemental theme, I envisioned them coming in all colors.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Tue May 19, 2015 10:48 am

Tamara Henson wrote:Silly me, I just noticed that I forgot the breath weapon for Earth element. It is a cone of crystalline stone shards as in the crystal dragon.

Fire fits Spike as his purple coloring is closer to the red spectrum (it is rather pinkish) than to the violet blues of the other elements. Of course the colors are just suggestions to fit with the elemental theme, I envisioned them coming in all colors.

Instead of crystals for a breath weapon, how about sand

Return to “Houserules”