Dragon PCs; what are your thoughts?

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
VoidDrifter

Dragon PCs; what are your thoughts?

Postby VoidDrifter » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:25 am

We all know what brought us here. And we all know that the most important/frequently seen male character in the show is Spike. So, inevitably, the question is going to arise: "Can I play a dragon?"

Curious about this myself, I figured I'd start this topic to see if anyone else has contemplated this idea.

My own solution that I'm tentatively examining? Embrace FiM over Pathfinder when it comes to dragons. That is, since this isn't Golarion, don't make use of the classic Chromatic/Metallic split. Instead, embrace the weirdness of G4's dragons and use that to my advantage.

Specifically, what I'm considering is to create a "Dragonet" race, named after the small, dimininutive dragon-kin that appeared in 2e. Ideally, this would have a number of racial variants, like ponykind or griffons, to add some more customization. This race is more directly based on Spike, and so its power level is on an equal level with ponykind, griffons, etc.

But how to represent the big, scary monsters that Spike is kin to and will eventually grow into? It's fine for NPC dragons to be different, but PCs can't do that without breaking the game, after all. Well, back when Paizo was publishing Dragon Magazine, issues 320 and 336 had something special. Complete 20 level classes for Metallic and Chromatic Dragons. These classes seperated dragon PCs entirely from the usual age-related spectrum, instead making their age classes something tied to their levels.

Working on a combination of this and a Dragonet-specific Mythic Destiny, I think, could be the most viable way to make dragon PCs that work for Ponyfinder. Of course, even if that's the case, it still leaves the problem of the fine details, like dragonet racial stats, and the class crunch.

Still, that's my opinion, what's yours, folks?

David
Site Admin

Re: Dragon PCs; what are your thoughts?

Postby David » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:32 am

It could work. The other option is to make a dragon race, balanced against ponies, and just assume you're not getting bigger in the timeline of the average campaign. Other option, give them a special prestige class if they want to progress as dragon.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:39 pm

I did check the race builder for Pathfinder. They have it so any dragon type race wouldn't start as a level 1 character due to the race costing 10RP, which is the maximum for making a race with no level adjustments. It would take a bit of work but I think it could be possible to make a dragon like race without using the Dragon template.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:18 pm

You couldn't give it the full dragon racial package. Dragon, as a type, gives too dang much right out of the box. Darkvision 120, Lowlight double power, and double power normal vision because why not, just to start.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:23 pm

How about this

Draglings
Size: Medium
Speed: 30
Ability Modifiers: +2 Str +2 Con
Natural Armor +1
Energy Resistance: choose a single type of energy, either Acid, Cold, Electric, or Fire and gain Resistance 5 to it
Breath Weapon: choose either a 15ft cone or a 20ft line and breath the energy you are resistant to. Reflex Save DC=10+1/2 character level+Constitution modifier
Darkvision: 60ft
Claws: gain 2 claw attacks as natural attacks 1d4
Languages: Common, Draconic

Racial Feat
Dragon Wings: through a painful process a pair of wings sprout from your back giving you a fly speed of 30
Requirements: level 6
Last edited by Mystic_Knight on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:38 pm

I think the line ought to be 30ft, non? 15 cone vs 20 line, why ever take the line?

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:44 pm

Some people may want to hit further targets others may want do do a wider AOE. Also the distances were the minimum for Breath Weapon, I could have had them be bigger but it would have taken more RP.

VoidDrifter

Postby VoidDrifter » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:45 am

Hmm... not a bad idea, Mystic_Knight. Personally, I would consider giving them a "floating pair" of stat modifiers (+2 to a stat of one choice, -2 to a second stat) and the ability to choose a different type of breath weapon to their resistance, to really emphasize how variable and mutation prone dragons seem to be.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:06 am

I was about to complain, then I realised +2 to any one and -2 to any other is actually weaker than human.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:10 pm

VoidDrifter wrote:Hmm... not a bad idea, Mystic_Knight. Personally, I would consider giving them a "floating pair" of stat modifiers (+2 to a stat of one choice, -2 to a second stat) and the ability to choose a different type of breath weapon to their resistance, to really emphasize how variable and mutation prone dragons seem to be.

If they had a resistance different than their breath weapon then they'd hurt themselves everytime they used their breath weapon. Also your "floating pair" scores would make them weaker than humans.

Return to “Houserules”