The Humanoid Project - Converting Pony Races to Bipeds

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
David
Site Admin

Re: The Humanoid Project - Converting Pony Races to Bipeds

Postby David » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:25 pm

They can trade in unique destiny like a pony does.

Dusk Raven

Postby Dusk Raven » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:33 pm

Entirely true... although I stand by the notion that they don't have as much variety as ponies. It also doesn't help with figuring out how to convert the non-pony races into humanoids...

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Not by much.

lonewolf23k

Postby lonewolf23k » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:35 am

Personally, I'd just use the "Relaxed Physics" Houserule, which does the following:
*Remove the ability to wield weapons or shields, or hold items in mouth for fingerless characters
*Hooves are considered hands for all mechanical purposes
*Fingerless characters are considered bipedal for all mechanical effects, losing their CMD bonus to tripping and extra carrying capacity.

Actually, my personal idea for this was to give Ponies the magical ability to switch between quadrupedal and bipedal forms, like BraveStarr's 30/30.

Dusk Raven

Postby Dusk Raven » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:19 pm

All right, so an update. It seems I've never really given up on this idea, and now it's taken a new form.

For whatever reason, I've always loved the concept of a number of "Great Houses" or other such clans feuding with each other. I combined this with my lingering desire to see the races of Ponyfinder humanized, and I suddenly had an idea.

The six main tribes of Ponyfinder shall be transported into the Six Great Houses of the nation of Lied. They are - House Prelude, masters of knowledge and magic; House Minuet, stwewards of the wild and natures hidden mysteries; House Bolero, proud warriors; House Seranade, expert traders and explorers; House Nocturne, grim guardians of powers beyond comprehension; and House Requiem, profound believers in their own willpower.

Obviously, these six are based on the six tribes, but there's more to follow. At least three minor houses - House Aria, House Sonata, and House Rhapsody - exist as well, along with no less than four inter-house factions that hold their loyalty to a higher calling than family or house - the Masks, the Slayers, the Mechanists, and the Crystaline. All in all, it's going to be a setting much like Legend of the Five Rings, with the enemies within taking precedence over the enemies without, and subtle machinations at play all over the place.

Now, since great houses rarely tend to be genetically isolated, it makes little sense to make each one a different race. Even real-life humans, with thousands of years of divergent evolution, have only paltry differences between the races.

This does not mean the houses are identical. While the lowest classes tend to care little for House lines when marrying, much of the House keeps to itself, gradually becoming specialized to their homeland and lifestyle, in skillset if not subtle physical alterations. Thus, the humans of each House get some options. In some cases they can trade in their bonus feat for a physical ability or abilities; in most cases they can trade their extra skill points for various cultural abilities.

I have not ruled the possibility of other races in the setting, but for now I'm focusing on making the humans of each House as distinct and interesting as possible. Why make different races when different cultures are just as interesting?

In the interest of not making this post any bigger, I will leave it at this and wait for interest, while I come up with various ideas...

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:25 pm

Not sure if you saw Tribes of Everglow, but we covered basically every pony type that doesn't already have a satyr form, now had one. So there are biped stats for all ponies, hands included at no additional fee!

Dusk Raven

Postby Dusk Raven » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Don't have that, I'm afraid, other than the campaign setting I just have Forgotten Gods of Everglow and the new Day and Night book. ...I get the feeling I've been missing out on a lot of Patreon bonuses.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue May 03, 2016 11:47 am

They can do -any- of the spiritual tribes (that trade away unique destiny) and rules are posted for most of the physical ones. Which one do you want?

Return to “Houserules”