Ponyfinder: Equestria - Seeking Advice and Suggestion

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
David
Site Admin

Re: Ponyfinder: Equestria - Seeking Advice and Suggestion

Postby David » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:54 pm

Tis true. Equestria, as it stands, has no gods. HOWEVER!

Big however.

Clerics do not have to worship a god. People are used to this, but they can worship a philosophy just fine. Like 'I am Green Leaf. I am a cleric of the forces of good. I bring light into the world!' And he/she doesn't need to name a specific god.

Alzrius

Postby Alzrius » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:48 pm

EquestrianScholar wrote:The problem is, changes need to be made for us to have a Ponyfinder roleplay and unless we turn Celestia, Luna, and others into deities there is next to no why have having clerics in the campaign and also toss out religion since there technically isn't such.

As such, for a D&D/Pathfinder style MLP campaign to work as it should we need to turn some ponies (and others) into deities.

Okay, I think I'm starting to understand where you're coming from a bit better - the underlying problem here seems to be an issue of "the rules don't match the setting."

In that case, you're correct - as presented, Equestria doesn't have any sort of religions, let alone (perhaps more germane to running a game there) healing magic.

If you want to try and preserve the flavor of Equestria as much as possible, I'd just reflavor the cleric class; don't change any of the mechanics per se, but simply make them another kind of spellcaster, essentially little more than wizards who've chosen a different magical discipline to focus on. As David noted, the need for deities - and, for that matter, any sort of religious worship - isn't hard-coded into the mechanics for divine spellcasters. Heck, the toughest problem would be what to do about divine foci.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 am

Hmm, perhaps and I will admit I don't see Celestia and Luna as deities also but I decided long ago for the sake of running a D&D/Pathfinder campaign I would have them be such. Sure technically it would be simpler just have clerics worship a variety of philosophies and perhaps refluff the class... but I already have write ups for deities both good and evil. I would rather not toss aside what I have put together for deities and really this is Ponyfinder. Even for the official Ponyfinder Campaign Setting that Silver put together their are deities, it is traditional to have deities for D&D/Pathfinder and I would be ill-inclined to remove such.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say, and know that understand I cannot have a Pathfinder game that perfectly fits MLP:FiM without heavy homebrewing and perhaps porting the magic system of the low magic setting called Midnight. I would rather try working with the game mechanics of Pathfinder where I can, even if it means certain aspects of Equestria and the characters are more powerful.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:15 am

Everglow is not Equestria, for what it's worth. Everglow has a defined pantheon, with newer gods, older gods, and even defeated/dead/forgotten gods. And they are true gods, separated from the living or even immortal.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:28 am

Yes, well I would still prefer having deities then not. That being my preference... even if Celestia, Luna, and Cadance don't really have the power of deities. I admit though I am cheating when it comes to the Mane Six, since I am having then offer domains though they are not deities.

Hmm, perhaps we can come to a compromise. I could create a set of about four domains, and a number of sub domains, offered through philosophies. Six of which would arise from the lives of bearers of the Elements of Harmony, not only of the virtues but of they way they live their lifes. Perhaps they don't even have anything to do with the rise of these Orders of Harmony but came about through thoses that had met and knew the Mane Six.

When it comes to Celestia and Luna, I offer that they are Archfey. Which, at least in many D&D products, could be compared to deities in power to an extent but only in their own realm and not have as much staying power in a fight over long battles. I can actually have the royal sisters and the other 'deities' all be Archfey as well, each offering domains and having worshipers of sorts but only mechanically. Discord would be the exception, being more of a Primordial in being the Spirit of Chaos not an Archfey... which would also work since his words offer he is eons old.

It would take refluffing but perhaps offer something closer to what is actually the case in Equestria.

Here is a link for Archfey: https://joelastowski.obsidianportal.com ... es/archfey
Last edited by EquestrianScholar on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:49 am

I have decided to have the Mane Six will be, relatively, normal if high level NPC adventuring heroines between 14th and 18th level (not deities in any way, shape, or form). Apart from their level and the fact they can used an artifact set that allows them to defeat great dangers, they will be following the same rules for building them as the players.

I will have the domains I had them offering instead gained by six 'Orders of Harmony', philosophies that ponies follow inspired by the lives of the Mane Six and taken by those who wish to follow in their hoofsteps. Perhaps in addition to their veneration of the royal sisters or the crystal princess. I may also offer other 'packaged' domains and called them philosophies that others may choose from.

Celestia, Luna, and Cadance will be Archfey. Having a similar purpose and respect among the fey races as deities but not quite the level of power. They will still be very powerful, and offer domains to those that follow them more devotedly, but not to the level true deities are. They will have shrines or temples perhaps, or at least places like such.

Nightmare, Discord, Chrysalis, and Sombra will still have their place as well as Archfey perhaps as well... all but Discord who I feel would be as I said before a primordial or a primal spirit of chaos. There will be cults for these villains, in which the party may very well have to face and stop so as to prevent these powerful and more harmful being from gaining more power or from beings released from the prisons they find themselves in.
----------------------------------

I want my campaign to fairly closely follow the actually canon of the show, but it wont be exact. For one, this takes place before Twilight becomes an alicorn and before Discord's 'reform'... which I wont let happen at all during the course of my campaign since I want him to be a danger/threat to Equestria and the party if they ever get involved with the Cult of Chaos.
Also, to bring Equestria more in line with how the mechanics and flavor of D&D/Pathfinder works I may decide on other things.
Last edited by EquestrianScholar on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:09 am

This all works for me.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:51 pm

Sighs, I apologize for needing to ask but I have been running into a few headaches when it comes to considering how certain spells would interact with the fact their are no humanoids in Equestria. How should I revise spells like Alter Self and Charge Person when it comes to the playable races which are all fey? I wasn't until looking more deeply into certain aspects of the game that I realize that using humanoid races play such a key part in the mechanics of the game and thus leave some wonky rules when it comes to play non-humanoid races.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:01 am

Just switch their target to fey and call it a day, I'd say. Surely Equestrians would have their own versions.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:55 am

Should the spells apply to all fey though? There are may kinds of fey in D&D/Pathfinder, some quite powerful actually I feel should be pointed out..

Return to “Houserules”