Ponyfinder: Equestria - Seeking Advice and Suggestion

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
Mystic_Knight

Re: Ponyfinder: Equestria - Seeking Advice and Suggestion

Postby Mystic_Knight » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:30 pm

EquestrianScholar wrote:No they are not, they are heroes meant to be inspired by both for their virtue and in the sense of being adventurers themselves... perhaps it is just bad personal experience. I have watched players who try to fight characters they shouldn't and seen that if the DM isn't careful a player may often kill an important NPC that the DM doesn't want killed.

If they're going to be heroes/inspiration for the players then have them be either mid or max level at the start of the campaign. They can test the abilities of the players by holding back.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:51 pm

I can agree with that, level 10 to level 20 and be there to test the abilities of the players, though I may go somewhere in the middle. Could be interesting, especially as a means of motivating the party to take certain paths with such rumors as "They have gone through the dungeon and survived" or "That forest is dangerous, but possible to get through as they did".

Hmm... I wonder what the 'party name' for the Mane Six should be.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:32 pm

Another reason why I think Twilight isn't a low level character, Spike. Twilight has the Leadership feat, which can be taken at level 7, and has Spike as her cohort and he is half her level.

Alzrius

Postby Alzrius » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Mystic_Knight wrote:Another reason why I think Twilight isn't a low level character, Spike. Twilight has the Leadership feat, which can be taken at level 7, and has Spike as her cohort and he is half her level.

Wouldn't that mean she would have a lot of followers, as well?

I just chalk Spike up to the fact that not every other character around someone has to be there because of a game mechanic.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:40 pm

He could also just be a character, or a GM NPC.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 am

I have seen the suggestion that Spike is an improved Familiar and then even seen some point to the pseudodragon... but that is more for creating Twilight for Pathfinder not Ponyfinder.

Myself, using the rules you offered in the Ponyfinder books for having ponies as familiars, have Spike be a very young dragon gifted to Twilight for getting into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Seriously, you have a character who has a deity as her mentor and teacher, I think allowing Spike as a very young dragon familiar is a small thing compared to that.

Hmm, there is also this
-------------------
Dragon Familiar
( Draconomicon, p. 104)
[General]
When you are able to acquire a new familiar, you may select a wyrmling dragon as a familiar.
Prerequisite: CHA 13, ability to acquire a new familiar, arcane spellcaster level 7th, compatible alignment, Speak Language (Draconic),
Benefit: When acquiring a new familiar, you can choose a wyrmling dragon.See Dragons as Familiars, page 141, for more information.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:47 am

In Pathfinder terms, Spike is below even a wyrmling in combat abilities.

I pushed Spike up into a true 'Very Young' dragon and his stats went from sidekick to super hero and he's loving it. Go Spike, Go!

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:02 am

Well... funny thing is that in D&D/Pathfinder terms Equestria is surprisingly enough I feel a low magic setting. The high level spells in see in D&D/Pathfinder are far beyond what has been shown in MLP:FiM and apart from a handful of artifacts... no magic weapons, armour, or equipment. Now admittingly one of these artifacts happens to be powerful enough that it can imprison a deity but still.

But yes I agree, allow Spike to show greater usefulness by being a very young/wyrmling dragon.

Alzrius

Postby Alzrius » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:41 am

I personally don't see Celestia and Luna as being deities; they're simply too limited in what they do.

While it's true that they move the sun and the moon, that seems at least to partly depend on the nature of Equestria as a setting. After all, the unicorn "tribe" (which didn't seem to be very large at the time) collectively did the same thing. Moreover, Celestia couldn't manage a flesh to stone spell (to deal with Discord) on her own, and it was only thanks to the Elements of Harmony that she was able to use imprisonment on Nightmare Moon.

And of course, eternal life isn't worth much as a game effect.

Insofar as Spike is concerned, I think that David is right that Spike doesn't make it up to wyrmling levels; as he is, I'd call him a 0-level character, but standard Pathfinder doesn't have that particular distinction.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:49 pm

The problem is, changes need to be made for us to have a Ponyfinder roleplay and unless we turn Celestia, Luna, and others into deities there is really next to no why have having clerics in the campaign and also religion since there technically isn't such.

As such, for a D&D/Pathfinder style MLP campaign to work as it should we need to turn some ponies (and others) into deities.
Last edited by EquestrianScholar on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Houserules”