Ponyfinder: Equestria - Seeking Advice and Suggestion

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
EquestrianScholar

Re: Ponyfinder: Equestria - Seeking Advice and Suggestion

Postby EquestrianScholar » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:42 pm

David wrote:If you're writing it up like that, you don't need their stats at all, unless you plan on the PCs battling their gods?

The Mane Six are not deities, 'merely' mortal ponies others have begin to reverie and look up to as paragons of their virtue... to the point where clerics of one of the six 'Virtues' gain domains from these heroes from their devotion and dedication.

I hope I am explaining this well, someone else came up with the idea when I explained I didn't want them to be deities but also felt the choices for domains were lacking.
Last edited by EquestrianScholar on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:51 pm

Right, but point still stands. If they're not going to join the adventuring party(why should they?) they don't need stats.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:54 pm

Sighs perhaps, but I would prefer having something to go off if or when the party meet the Mane Six. Skill use, class abilities, use of spells, exc... I just want to be prepared and not make use of DM fiat.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:35 pm

I say make the Mane 6 mid level, around level 10 each.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:08 pm

Mystic_Knight wrote:I say make the Mane 6 mid level, around level 10 each.

Hmm, the potential problem with this is that my players will be starting with level 5 characters.

Meaning their characters would not be far behind... though by giving the Mane Six Mythic levels could give them the needed boost in power to help them stay ahead even if the players catch up.

Alzrius

Postby Alzrius » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:16 pm

EquestrianScholar wrote:
Mystic_Knight wrote:I say make the Mane 6 mid level, around level 10 each.

Hmm, the potential problem with this is that my players will be starting with level 5 characters.

Meaning their characters would not be far behind... though by giving the Mane Six Mythic levels could give them the needed boost in power to help them stay ahead even if the players catch up.

I'm not sure I understand why it's important that the PCs not catch up to the Mane Six in terms of personal power.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Are they going to battle the mane six? Are the mane six supposed to be the apex of pony fighting ability?

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:58 pm

David wrote:Are they going to battle the mane six? Are the mane six supposed to be the apex of pony fighting ability?

No they are not, they are heroes meant to be inspired by both for their virtue and in the sense of being adventurers themselves... perhaps it is just bad personal experience. I have watched players who try to fight characters they shouldn't and seen that if the DM isn't careful a player may often kill an important NPC that the DM doesn't want killed.

Sure, I could always use DM fiat to prevent this but I try to avoid such as much as possible. The make thing is I want the Mane Six to be stated but also know that by doing so someone might get the idea of trying to fight one of the Mane Six and possibly kill them. If I have any of the Mane Six die, I want it to be because of plot or a sacrifice in battle... but because of a bad roll and one of my players picking a fight.

Sighs, perhaps it is just a trust issue which would mean it is my problem.

Alzrius

Postby Alzrius » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:06 pm

Ah, so it's to prevent the old "let's go kill Elminster!" syndrome.

Honestly, the best way to avoid this is to have players who are more mature than wanting to go around wreaking havoc just for the fun of it. If they can't, then I'd say let the natural consequences follow; if they want to kill the Mane Six, have the alicorn princesses come down on their heads in all their fury (or perhaps it was a trick by Discord all along?).

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Well... I will be striving for about a 50/50 in encounters that can be won fighting while the other half requires skill use and team work. For there to be a focus on roleplaying with much less on hack and slash, less encounters that can be taken care of with violence or at least without consequences for using violence.

Return to “Houserules”