Ponyfinder: Equestria - Seeking Advice and Suggestion

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
EquestrianScholar

Ponyfinder: Equestria - Seeking Advice and Suggestion

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Greetings, I was invited to this site by David himself leaving me surprised to learn he had membership on MLP Forums. I am currently working on a Ponyfinder Campaign to be played in an Equestria/MLP:FiM setting, leaving me to do some word swapping, and I came here to ask advise on reworking/homebrewing.

One thing I need to get done before starting is the refluffing and domain consideration for deities. My thoughts being particularly on Celestia and Luna, one being the Goddess of the Sun and Day with the other being the Goddess of the Moon and Night, with ponies worshiping both in the shared religion between the Celestial Sisters with access to shared domains. Yet allow for ponies for focus their devotion on only one of the two sisters, gaining access to different domains.

There would be a cult worshiping Nightmare Moon, Goddess of Nightmares and Vengeance.

Then there is the Crystal Princess, the Goddess of Love and Hope with Cadance taking this divine title on the return of the Crystal Empire after defeating the Dark Tyrant Sombra, God of Fear and Shadows.

Since I plan of the Mane Six being high level adventuring heroes I was considering Starswirl as the God of Magic and Knowledge. Discord would be the God of Chaos and Madness.

Then there would be the deities of other races, such as Chrysalis being the patron deity of changelings and the Goddess of Deception and Seduction. Though for the other races, I may have to just come up with them myself.

Races:
There will also be at least one race added. That of deer, being much like the elves of Pathfinder/D&D with feats and other considerations mostly taken from resources for Elves.

I will also be reworking the leatherwing race to be of more draconic origin not that of bat ponies, because of my consideration of Luna's Night Guards having more draconic/serpentine physical traits then that of bats.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deer are among the oldest races, and are naturally very gifted when it comes druidic magic and experts of ancient lore. Proud of their heritage and culture, deer see themselves as the guardians of nature and the earth. Often stubborn and very much traditionalists, deer hold true to their beliefs and connection to the land though normally live apart and isolated in family units that may join together with their own kind though marriage or alliance. This race tend to remain in their homelands and are not usually the adventurous sort. They are suspicious of strangers, not one to trust those that are not like them, and fear nothing more then capture by others. Because of this deer, as a whole, actively avoid pony towns and settlements. Adventurers are the exceptions, willing to brave the world as a whole, even the worrisome civilized parts of it.

Deer Racial Traits:
Type: Fey (deer)
Ability Scores: +2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Con
Medium: Deer are medium size and gain no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Fast Speed: Deer have a base speed of 40 feet, and a bipedal speed of 20 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Deer see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
Fleet-Footed: Deer are naturally very lithe and agile, given to being very quick with a strong sense to avoid danger or threats around them. Deer receive Run as bonus feat and a +2 racial bonus on initiative checks.
Distrusting: A Deer takes a -4 to diplomacy checks yet also a +2 to sense motive checks when interacting with strangers and those they meet for the first time.
Guarded Freedom: Deer gain a +2 to perception checks but whenever they are entangled, pinned or bound, this race immediately becomes shaken.
Fingerless: See fingerless rules.
Quadruped: Due to being four-legged, deer receive +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense against trip attacks and +50% carrying capacity.

ryanwraith1

Re: Ponyfinder: Equestria - Seeking Advice and Suggestion

Postby ryanwraith1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:26 pm

Hmm... what about Buffalo?

Buffalo Racial Traits:
Type: Fey (Buffalo)
Ability Scores: +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Dex
Large: Buffalo are large size and gain no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Fast Speed: Buffalo have a base speed of 50 feet, and a bipedal speed of 25 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Buffalo see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
Stamped: Buffalo characters may make natural attacks while running with no penalty.
Stubborn: Buffalo are considered at one less charisma when communicating with earth ponies.
Fingerless: See fingerless rules.
Quadruped: Due to being four-legged, Buffalo receive +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense against trip attacks and +50% carrying capacity.
"The minds of gods are not for ponies to know or to judge. Accept that Sheila has a place for all of us in her grand plan, and be happy in the part you have to play."

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:17 pm

That phrasing is confusing for large?

Stamped->Stampeed

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:24 pm

... if Buffalo are considered a Large race, why would they be treated as Medium with the "and gain no bonuses or penalties due to their size"?
Last edited by EquestrianScholar on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:40 pm

A New Race (Second Draft)
Kirin
A race of ponies from the distant land of the mystical east, whether Haysia or Neighpon, whose blood became mixed with that of the dragons of their home and over time developed them into who they are now. A somewhat mysterious race, soft spoken and with powers over one of the four elements fire, water, earth, and air though a race few gain dragon's seemingly ancient lifespan. They have even grown to have much in common not only with dragons given the more scaly coats and draconic features but that with elemental as well. With the more vibrant reds, yellows, and oranges of fire kirin or that of the softer, deeper blues and sea greens of water kirin. There are the darker and richer greens and earthen browns of earth kirin with the wind swept lighter colors of air kirin. They all have slight personality differences but all share the stubbornness and pride of dragons, often seeming to stand above those not of their race. Yet others prefer learning magic that taps into the world around them, that of the elements, and the roles of scholars and warriors.

Alternate Racial Traits
Type: Adds the dragon subtype
Scaly Coat: Members of this race gain a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.
In the Blood: Kirin share a bond with one of four elements and gain the corresponding +5 resistance to either Fire (fire), Water (cold), Earth (acid), or Air (electricity) yet also gain a corresponding elemental venerability (Fire to cold, Water to electricity, Air to acid, Earth to fire)
Heritage Gifts: Based on their element, kirin gain fast healing 2 for 1 round anytime they take damage from their element's corresponding energy type. Members of this race can heal up to 2 hit points per level per day with this ability, after which it ceases to function.
Also, once per day as a swift action a kirin can call on the power lurking within them to shroud its forelegs in the energy type that corresponds to their element. Unarmed strikes with its hooves (or attacks with weapons held in their hooves or mouth) deal +1d6 points of damage of the appropriate energy type. This lasts for 1 round per character level. The creature may end the effects of its elemental assault early as a free action.
These replace Earth-Bound and the Unique Destiny trait.

Alternate Racial Abilities
Dragonic Spark: Members of this race gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks when interacting with dragons and saving throws against death effects. They can use lesser age resistance once per day as a spell-like ability.
This replaces the ability Heritage Gifts​.
Last edited by EquestrianScholar on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:37 am, edited 10 times in total.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Curious ability there. Do they have any resistance to the element they are attuned to? I don't see any such ability, which means the fast healing is really just a fast recovery from being smacked with that element.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:27 pm

David wrote:Curious ability there. Do they have any resistance to the element they are attuned to? I don't see any such ability, which means the fast healing is really just a fast recovery from being smacked with that element.

Well no... by having it that kirin gain an elemental subtype they gain immunity to one element and venerability to another.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Ah, my mistake. I didn't realise that was a nature of the type.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:35 pm

Should I change it? I admit part of me did consider the whole gaining an elemental subtype to be a bit much, especially since the kirin's origins is that of relations between dragons and ponies.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:33 pm

For one, you want to specify the four elements. For two, air gets no immunity, making it a sad panda. For three, outright immunity to an element is a strong effect!

Return to “Houserules”