Forestkin

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
Tamara Bloodhoof

Forestkin

Postby Tamara Bloodhoof » Sat May 24, 2014 12:36 pm

While the early of ponykind were exploring the world, seeking homes, the forest became home to a select few. With its thick underbrush, sight impeding trees, and plentiful predators, it seemed a place ill suited to most ponies. Forests still have an intimidating effect on most ponies with its uncanny ability to negate many of their survival tactics. Despite this, some brave few settled in the trees and learned to be at one with them. As the years passed, they lived apart from most pony society, learning instead the ways of the trees, until they were more tree than pony.
Forest kin have the shape of a pony, but have abandoned the frailties of flesh. They gaze at the world with eyes of bright, glistening, amber. Their hooves are toughened roots, and their pelt a collection of leaves and petals covering their thickly corded wooden forms. Their mane and tail taking the form of flowing ivies, bejeweled with flower blossoms. Forest kin do not have brands of destiny, forced to choose their own way in life. They make for quiet companions, being entirely unable to speak, but they are not mindless. Those who choose to venture outside their forests can make for able associates for ponies willing to endure their strange presence.

ForestKin
+2 STR, +2 WIS, -2 INT
Senses: Low-Light Vision
Normal Speed (30 Feet)
Plant type: Immunity to all mind-affecting effects AND Immunity to paralysis, poison, polymorph, sleep effects, and stunning.
Sleepless: Forestkin have no need for sleep unless it is to gain a beneficial effect, such as a druid restocking their spells.
Forest kin: While within any forest, ignore all difficult terrain made by natural means (shrubbery, thorns), and gain a +4 to stealth checks.
Flammable: All Forest kin are vulnerable to fire and recieve 50% more damage from any spell, ability, attack, or otherwise that deals fire damage.
Tree Speech: All Forest kin are unable to speak, yet are under the constant effects of 'Speak With Plants'. While mute, this does not keep them from being able to both read and write any language they know.
Languages:Sylvan, any Forest kin with a high enough Intelligence score may learn Common, Elven, Gnomish, and Terran as bonus languages

[This was posted long ago, but I'm reposting it since the last one was locked and it can now be in houserules :-D

Dragonflame

Re: Forestkin

Postby Dragonflame » Sat May 24, 2014 1:02 pm

Cool :) I'm surprised no one's thought up a "deer" race yet though. Is it just me who's thinking about it?

Tamara Bloodhoof

Postby Tamara Bloodhoof » Sat May 24, 2014 3:27 pm

Nope, I have as well, would you like me to give a shot at it?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat May 24, 2014 3:35 pm

I would be wary of letting a player take a forestkin. So many immunities, and being mute makes communication quite a trick, which can irritate other players, especially mid-combat or other tense situations.

Tamara Bloodhoof

Postby Tamara Bloodhoof » Sat May 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Yet, for all these immunities, they are vulnerable to one of the most common energies, they are unable to actually cast spells due to being mute (Unless they are using silent spells or are druids who are both shapeshifted and have the natural spell feat)...actually, if they are to truly be possible player characters, I need to make a feat for that.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Sat May 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Tamara Bloodhoof wrote:Nope, I have as well, would you like me to give a shot at it?

If you want to, sure. :)

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat May 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Getting resistance to fire is not difficult, and balancing extreme highs with extreme lows never ends well(Because the lows can always be edged around).

To make things more interesting, if the party is comprised largely of these, they get free effective telepathy at level 1, turning what would be a negative into a strong positive.

Tamara Bloodhoof

Postby Tamara Bloodhoof » Sat May 24, 2014 3:52 pm

That party would also be facing quite a lot of fire and plant hating enemies probably XD

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat May 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Which just makes it easier to select what you want energy resist against.

Tamara Bloodhoof

Postby Tamara Bloodhoof » Sat May 24, 2014 4:13 pm

Umm, I know this may sound rude, but do you mind actual constructive criticism rather than simply bemoaning the plant type in general which, aside from their forest bonuses, is their only real benefit?

Return to “Houserules”