New Race: Donkey

Share and review houserules for Ponyfinder.
Canada714

New Race: Donkey

Postby Canada714 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Donkey
Often confused with their domesticated siblings, these dull colored equines traverse the sandy deserts of Everglow. They are shorter, stockier, and distant cousins of the ponykin, sharing descendants from the more lush environments of the world. The many centuries in the blazing deserts have lead to donkeys developing a strong survival sense and a cautious nature. Donkeys are known for their stubbornness and they are usually unwilling to do anything that would put them in harms way without reason. They will not show weakness to those they do not trust, which has lead to donkey's falling over dead from diseases and injuries no one knew they had.

Physical Description: Shorter than the ponykin, donkeys developed for life in the desert. Their coarse coats are dark colors, ranging from light browns and grays to dark shades of steel and ebony, which are made to protect more against wiping winds and sand than rain. Patches of lighter colors are often seen on their muzzles and socks. Donkeys also have tuft tails to whip at flies and other annoying vermin. Being slapped by stranger's tail is seen as very insulting in donkey culture.

Society: Donkeys are not very social creatures and are largely nomadic. Groups of donkeys, a few families at most, will come together for no more than to help each other survive the deserts of their homes and for increased safety, staying together for not much longer than a year at a time before going separate ways. A group may stay together longer if a marriage is arranged, which has usually been deemed beneficial by the two families.
They do not make many friends, but those that make a friend of a donkey will find they have a dependable, lifelong companion.

Relations: Donkeys get along well with ponies in their own eyes and hostility is rare, but the extreme difference in behavior leads many of the ponykin to keep themselves distance.
They see sun Cats as their mortal enemies, though the Sun Cats see them more as annoyances than enemies, which donkeys prefer.
Donkeys also have a hard time trusting the upright and humanoid races due to the treatment humanoids gave their ancestors.

Alignment: Fending for one's self tends to leave many donkeys with some variation of a neutral alignment, tending more toward the lawful side than chaotic.

Adventurers: Most donkeys stay with their families until they have a family of their own and rarely travel alone, but families have been known to leave the desert in search of safer places to raise their foals. If a donkey's family dies, or abandons it for whatever reason, they will seek a new family which has lead many donkeys into the open world.

Donkey (11 RP)
+4 to Constitution, -2 to Dexterity and -2 to Charisma – Donkeys are slow, patient, and introverted. They are hardy creatures who don’t like to show weakness
Fey
Medium
Base Speed 30 ft & Steady – their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance

Hardy: +2 on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities

Edit: Donkeys gain the feat Endurance as a bonus feat. (instead of "Desert Runner" ability)

Elemental Affinity: If a donkey take's level in the sorcerer class, with the elemental bloodline corresponding to the elemental plane of earth, it treats its Charisma score as 2 points higher for all sorcerer spells and class abilities. Furthermore, donkeys are able to cast domain spells that correspond to the elemental plane the race has ties to casts its domain powers and spells at +1 caster level. This trait does not give early access to level-based powers; it only affects powers that they could already use without this trait.

Keen Ears: Due to their large, sensitive ears donkeys receive a +2 to Perception checks.

Hoofs for Hands: Hooves are not suitable for fine manipulation, though they can play instruments
Mouth Hand: Their mouth can function as a hand for most tasks.

Equipment Restrictions: They require special versions of rings and glove items.

All Donkeys start knowing Common and Bray (the donkey language), Donkey's of higher intelligence may learn Sylvan, (and 6 other racial languages that I have not yet picked out).

Made in the race creator, they came to a total of 11 points and they are my first race. Constructive criticism is very much appreciated :-D
Last edited by Canada714 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

Dragonflame

Re: New Race: Donkey

Postby Dragonflame » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Wouldn't such dark colors make them overheat faster? :huh:

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Dragonflame wrote:Wouldn't such dark colors make them overheat faster? :huh:

Hmm, I'd imagine that would be true but I just increased the variety of the natural colors seen in donkey coats. Idk how but donkeys have had brown and gray coats in the deserts for thousands of years. *shrug* so in short, an excellent question that I don't really have an answer too :P
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

elecwolf1138

Postby elecwolf1138 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:20 pm

Oddly enough I have heard this asked of tribes that roam the desert in all black robes.
For some reason, it actually works. I will have have to do some searching...

Edit : Found it. The darker colors absorb heat both ways, so lighter colors would actually reflect their body heat back to
themselves. Plus they wear light layers so that the air moves more and keeps them cool. This also applies to fur and
feathers of desert critters. They may be darker but they allow more air movement.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:14 am

elecwolf1138 wrote:

Oddly enough I have heard this asked of tribes that roam the desert in all black robes.
For some reason, it actually works. I will have have to do some searching...

Edit : Found it. The darker colors absorb heat both ways, so lighter colors would actually reflect their body heat back to
themselves. Plus they wear light layers so that the air moves more and keeps them cool. This also applies to fur and
feathers of desert critters. They may be darker but they allow more air movement.

Cool! :D Learn something new everyday. lol! :)

Platinius

Postby Platinius » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:01 am

I am afraid you missunderstood something there, a black surface absorbs well both high frequency and low frequency radiation and emits excess heat fast via low frequency radiation (infra red); a white surface reflects a good deal high freq. rad. and absorbs low freq. rad. while emitting a lot of low freq. rad.; now, while a mirrored surface doesn't absorb much radiation of any kind, it also doesn't radiate much.

An example to simplify, after a long day in the sun, a black car is (naturally) the hottest, the chrome car will be cooler, but the coolest car will be the white car, which despite having absorbed more radiation/energy/heat also radiated much more than the chrome one.

In case of animals, a polar bears fur isn't actually white but colourless and only appears white through the reflection of sunlight (much like powdered glass), his skin is black to absorb more heat and the "mirror" fur reflects (some) of the lost heat back at him while also granting camouflage. In a hot area lighter colours are more suitable, for (hot) desert dwellers (there are also very cold deserts) thick clothes are very useful to protect from sunburns and sunstroke (much like the ancient Hebrews did), while there is a lot a fashion to be worn in the sun, being completely dressed in black on a hot sunny day for a prolonged amount of time is essentially suicide.
Life is an adventure, brave it with courage

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:29 pm

I appreciate the discussion above, but these are aesthetic changes. Does anyone have any comments on the build itself?

Zyonic

Postby Zyonic » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:17 pm

do they fear the the legend of him? Image
El Chupacabra lol sorry couldn't help it
Come On Crack A Smile Friend.

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Zyonic wrote:do they fear the the legend of him?

I thought he ate goats

MeatyMuffin009

Postby MeatyMuffin009 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Canada714 wrote:
Zyonic wrote:do they fear the the legend of him?

I thought he ate goats

Chupa means "to suck" and cabra means "goat", so the name chupacabra literally translates to "goat sucker". Think of it as a sort of goat vampire.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou shindeiru

Return to “Houserules”