To David

Chat about Ponyfinder, or anything else on your mind.
bahamutkotd

To David

Postby bahamutkotd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:00 pm

I just finished reading the race book that I was going to buy until you gractiously included it into the kickstarter for free! :O Awesome! :kiss: First I must say the quip at the end was priceless, ponyfinder isn't about MLP. :troll: Doesn't stop you from being inspired by the show and the awesomeness. :)

I already had one person say that they would like to play a game in the setting but "didn't know enough bronies." :crazy: Oh i'll fix that. I also know a few others that might be intrested in running the system or at least the races when it comes out :yay;.

I do notice that unlike other more humanoid races, ponies seem to use feats to augment their natual ablities more so than, create more options for their classes, as if the class is just a way to grow as a pony. It's oddly fitting, and kind of a weird departure from what I'm used to when thinking of how to make a character, a pony character is more likely to use her pony racial feats than any other race.

So for this I say thank you. Thank you for being inspired enough to take the time to create a universe so close to the one that we wish we where a part of. Thank you for putting it all together in an awesome package that might be able to entise even the hardest core rper vetern to not brush it as fan pandering.

TheStratovarian

Re: To David

Postby TheStratovarian » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:44 pm

With so many races that made it, its going to be a great thing, and im honestly really looking forward to the zebra quite a bit, if they made it in there, if not, well, there are those one carapace'd fellows whom are just full of ideas. Let alone some of the other natives.

But yes, I hope things go well for everyone.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Hello there!

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your kind words. It's true, ponies have a lot of things they can sink feats into to become even more awesome ponies. Your race becomes a sort of 'second class', its level increased at the cost of those precious feats. In our playtests, it's worked out quite well so far (We're running the Shattered Star adventure path, with ponies).

You'll be pleased to know that zebras did make it. Here's some stuff for them:

When ponykind was young, one tribe did not specialize, and chose instead to worship the whole of nature. They took a holistic approach to other mysteries of life, and it reflects in their society. Being hermits, many live alone or in small villages.They study the traditional ways of their parents, exploring their place in the universe at large while seeking better ways to pass on. They find the slavish devotion of other ponykind to their singular destinies to be a childish limitation. The frantic rush that ponies indulge is distracting, even bothersome. Most zebra prefer to consider a problem first, and approach with planning and care. Though reverent of their predecessors' traditions, every zebra is unique.
The brand of destiny manifests much differently for zebra than other ponykind. It changes shape and color as the zebra gains, or loses, understanding of herself. It is often a pattern, rather than a clear image, and its meaning is only evident to the zebra that bears it. Other zebras can examine such a brand and with DC 25 spellcraft check, gain a +4 circumstance bonus to sense motive checks against that zebra until the brand changes. If a zebra has deciphered a brand before, doing so again allows the zebra to recognize the brand, and its bearer, even if the target zebra is disguised or the brand has changed since the last viewing. While one could glean hints as to any ponykind's nature by their brand, the intricate nature of a zebra's pattern is much more detailed for those who know how to read it.

TheStratovarian

Postby TheStratovarian » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Woah, now this is neat and clever. Bravo! A journey for their lives, and their nature reflects it.

bahamutkotd

Postby bahamutkotd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:39 pm

the way it sounds although they are inspired by minture equines of a certain place, they aren't. And there are going to be quite a list of locals, and races to fill this pony filled world that you are spinning.

is this going to to be a hard backed or soft bounded affair? is the book going to include the pieces already in the race guide as well? or is it a companion guide with the race guide which isn't a problem given that you gave it to all of us for free anyway :yay;

if it's hard back is there any tips you might share finding a book binder in this day and age... my pathfinder book has gave up the ghoast on it's front binding.... or is duck/strapping tape my best bet.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:58 pm

The book given in the Kickstarter will be soft cover. It will include the content of the race guide, making it a complete guide to all things pony.

lbxzero

Postby lbxzero » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:48 pm

I hope you don't implement too many races. It is hard to balance quality and quantity.

Return to “General”