Spin a Yarn

Chat about Ponyfinder, or anything else on your mind.
grimAuxilliam

Spin a Yarn

Postby grimAuxilliam » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm sure that each of us have war stories of playing pathfinder or dungeons and dragons. We have all done heroic deeds and have dealt with critical failures. There are incredible moments of roleplay that could have easily been a well written play. Gather around as we share some of the best, or worst, moments in our table top lives.

My story begins with a homebrew campaign constructed by my friend. My party and I were tasked with searching for the Deimos, a massive machine of destruction hidden deep underground. Our party consisted of a sorcerer, a rogue, a druid, and a gunslinger. We entered a cave that would likely lead to the construct. We fought through rust monsters, chupacabras, and even an invisible stalker. Later in the cave system, our party entered a room flooded on one side by large pipes on one of the walls. A detect magic revealed that the water was in fact magical. Our wounded rogue decided that he would try out the water as carefully as he could. Upon touching the water, his wounds were healed. But as the ripple reached the wall, there was a scuttling in the pipes. Nothing happened, so my blood caster sorcerer decided to have a taste. My wounds were cured, but when the ripples hit the wall, two large deathweb spiders bursted out from the pipes, sensing me as their prey. They both managed to catch my sorcerer off guard, bit me twice and dropped my strength to zero with their poison. Long battle short, we managed to defeat the spiders, but not without a few bite marks extra. The druid's animal companion dragged my limp body with the rest of the party to the next room. Looking at the roof, we spotted a plate mail, two potions, and a scroll stuck to the roof in a spider web. Our rouge managed to safely acquire the potions with the help of a ten foot pole and a good dex modifier. They were clearly labeled potions of restoration. I started to pantomime being paralyzed and needing one of those potions. My teammates didn't notice a thing. The weakened rogue instead looks at our druid and handed her one of the potions to help her with her minor poison. The two quaffed their potion and restored their ability scores. Then I reminded that one of their party member was busy being horribly paralyzed. There was much face palm to be had.
The only thing deadlier than a tarrasque is a natural 1.

Canada714

Re: Spin a Yarn

Postby Canada714 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:33 am

Damn man, hope they got to healing you eventually haha

One of my favorite combat experiences was with a gnomish alchemist/rogue a couple years ago. The group consisted of me, a druid, a fighter, a cleric, and a sorceress. We were traveling down this dungeon full of elementals and constructs (which by the way sucks as a rogue cause a lot of them are immune to sneak attacks and flanking). Anyways, the battles are long due to various things like damage reduction but then we reach the ice elemental floor.
While we investigated the contents of the room, in came 1 large ice elemental, 3 medium ones, and 6 small ones. I got to go first, threw a bomb for high fire damage, followed by our sorceress who casted some fire spell, which combined wiped out all the small and medium ice elementals and left the large elemental winded. Our fighter got to go third and with one swing he fell the overgrown ice sculpture. Whole enemy force down in less than one combat round. SO, since half our party didn't even get a chance to react we just played that they never even noticed a thing. It was a ton of fun. "You missed it!" "What? Missed what?"
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

Intendant S

Postby Intendant S » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:02 am

Most of my epic stories aren't Pathfinder or D&D related but rather from other settings/systems. However, there have been a few great moments. One of my favorites came with my pistol-packing ranger. My group likes to do prequels for our characters. The backstory for Janella (or Calamity Jane as I nicknamed her) had her whole family wiped out by bandits with her as the sole survivor and out for bloody vengeance against the leader known only as "Mad Jack". Well, as she was running off Jane got caught and was about to be taken captive by Jack. Taking a knife that she took from the farm she wildly flailed it around to try to break free.

This is the fun part. The DM had me roll to see if I hit Jack. And I rolled a natural 20. She ruled that I not only managed to get away but that I took one of his balls off. Since then he was known as "One Sack Jack".
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:25 am

lol that's hilarious! But that made me think of another one! Are we limited to only one post?
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

Intendant S

Postby Intendant S » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:31 am

BTW, "CJ" in the tavern game is a goat version of Janella. Minus the pistols (she did have a rifle but barely used it).
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

grimAuxilliam

Postby grimAuxilliam » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:13 am

Feel free to post as many stories as you like. We all got more than one story to tell.
The only thing deadlier than a tarrasque is a natural 1.

Return to “General”