Pony Genetics, how do they work?

Chat about Ponyfinder, or anything else on your mind.
ryanwraith1

Pony Genetics, how do they work?

Postby ryanwraith1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:10 am

The show doesn't go over genetics to much, and I am curious of what would the result of two Everglow ponies of separate tribal origins decided to have a child (lets say a male pegesus and a female unicorn) what race would the foal be?
"The minds of gods are not for ponies to know or to judge. Accept that Sheila has a place for all of us in her grand plan, and be happy in the part you have to play."

Steel_Prism

Re: Pony Genetics, how do they work?

Postby Steel_Prism » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:50 am

Earth pony, because reasons

ryanwraith1

Postby ryanwraith1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:14 am

Seems legit :/
"The minds of gods are not for ponies to know or to judge. Accept that Sheila has a place for all of us in her grand plan, and be happy in the part you have to play."

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:20 am

The book does touch on this. Pony tribe genetics can go dormant, meaning you can end up with the tribe of a grandma or great grandma instead of your parents. no hybrids, however, outside of what you can make normally.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:05 am

Well apart from not being born an alicorn until you have at least one parent that is already such, meaning no unicorn/pegasus hybrid, I would see all ponies becoming one of the ponykind races with perhaps some traits of the other parents.

Let me offer an example of what I mean. You have a pegasus mare who is larger then many pegasus, because her father was a earth pony while her mother was a pegasus. She is still a pegasus herself but would perhaps be a bit bulkier, stronger or tougher though not to the extent seen in earth ponies. Or perhaps you have a earth pony with stronger arcane blood because of having unicorn ancestory or perhaps a sharper mind. Perhaps it could be something along the lines of what fan theorize for Fluttershy, that perhaps one of her parents are an earth pony thus why she is a weaker flier and has a connection with animals.

In each of these examples a pony is still only one race. Not sure about the appearance difference possibility when it comes to zebra though, that could perhaps be passed onto a pony, whether they be earth pony, pegasi, or unicorn. Nor about non-ponies breeding with ponies such as a griffin with a pony. Dragon is easy enough because of the half-dragon templete but still (considering this since I see Spike and Rarity eventually getting together and having a foal).
Last edited by EquestrianScholar on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:09 am

Sure. You could stat for that and that'd be perfectly keen.

A pegasus that took Endurance and a high con with an earth-bound parent? Completely legit.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:13 am

David wrote:Sure. You could stat for that and that'd be perfectly keen.

A pegasus that took Endurance and a high con with an earth-bound parent? Completely legit.

My thoughts exactly (also I made a few edits with my post above).

Edit: I decided to add my edits here
---------------------------------------------
I could see Pathfinder's trait system working well for such a take as I offered above, perhaps even a trait that allows a pony of one race to take a racial trait of another or a Ponykind feat that like the human feat Racial Heritage take feats or archetypes of another race. One exception being such that a non-flier can't take a flying related feat unless they gain wings from another source, or horn related feats without a horn.
Last edited by EquestrianScholar on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:25 pm

I agree with ES. Maybe there should be a Ponyfinder story traits. Also I can see that there would be a higher chance of the foal being born as the species their parents are than being born as something different. Like with the Cakes, two earth ponies making twins one a pegasi the other a unicorn, should be very rare like 1 in a million.
I can see if a pegasus or earth pony being born from a unicorn parent would have a chance of being a sorcerer with the Arcane bloodline. Hm maybe you should make bloodlines for the normal ponies instead of lumping them all together into Unification.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:11 am

Unification is kind of a specific thing. Specific tribe bloodlines would be kinda neat.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Like a unicorn who has pegasus bloodline could have access to the pegasus specific feats and abilities. Like walking on clouds

Return to “General”