Book Materials

Chat about Ponyfinder, or anything else on your mind.
Jynnx

Book Materials

Postby Jynnx » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:34 am

Just out of curiosity, is the finished Ponyfinder product going to be hard cover or soft cover? Or will there later be an option for either?

I tried finding out through the kickstarter page and the FB page, but I couldn't seem to locate the information I was looking for. I may very well have simply overlooked it, so I apologize if this information has been presented already, and feel free to smack me over the head with it.
Let me sleep through this time of pain,
And grant me innocent dreams.
Rouse me during the first summer rain,
When all the world's at peace, it seems.

Watch Jynnxed TV on YouTube!

David
Site Admin

Re: Book Materials

Postby David » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:27 am

All Kickstarter options are for softcover at this time. If we do manage to squeeze in a hard cover option, it will be a seperate affair, but we have no plans for it just yet.

To put it bluntly, the printing cost for hard cover is distressingly high per book.

Groob

Postby Groob » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 pm

Uhg, Isn't that the truth. I'm always surprised when I see any new settings or source books released in HB, because I know it's gotta be killing them. We tried for a HB reprint of inasnity and the project lead got in over his excited head. A small print run killed the momentum and he never did recouped the costs.

tiwake

Postby tiwake » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm not sure where they get it printed, but the fallout equestria hardback books are rather cheap. About $70 for a set of 5 hardback books with a production of maybe 300-400 sets printed at a time. This however does not include color. Regardless, it might be worth it to find out where they get them printed and see if they will do color.
Unofficial IRC chat channel for PonyFinder (irc.canternet.org #ponyfinder) http://derpy.me/do4nk

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:16 pm

You just underlined the secret. You need to do an actual run, rather than printing on demand. We would need people to agree to pay the extra, then hope enough hop on the bandwagon to cover a full print run. If not, then we're in an awkward situation.

tiwake

Postby tiwake » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Heh, thats the way it goes for anything really... food, CNC machine stuff, and books with ponies in them. I don't necessarily mean hardcover specifically, I mentioned the printed version fallout equestria as a possible source for what you might want done in the book.
Unofficial IRC chat channel for PonyFinder (irc.canternet.org #ponyfinder) http://derpy.me/do4nk

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Sounds like an interesting after-KS offer, allow people to pre-buy hardcovers until the critical mass is reached, then print and ship.

tiwake

Postby tiwake » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:26 pm

that is true too... you could always get quotes for different amounts, say, 50, 100, 200, 300... 4 different quotes.

Return to “General”