MLP:FiM Season 4 Premiere! (Warning: Spoilers!)

Chat about Ponyfinder, or anything else on your mind.
TaliaKirana

MLP:FiM Season 4 Premiere! (Warning: Spoilers!)

Postby TaliaKirana » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:25 pm

Surprised nobody's thrown up a topic for this yet, but who here watched it yesterday morning? I really enjoyed it, and I'm fascinated by what the ending implied. We're gonna be getting a season long story arc! What's in that box? And where will the search for the keys lead our heroes?
Oh, and the glimpses we got into the past... I'm amazed we not only got a look back at Nightmare Moon's banishment, we got to finally see how Discord was first defeated.

I'm really looking forward to next week!

David
Site Admin

Re: MLP:FiM Season 4 Premiere! (Warning: Spoilers!)

Postby David » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:42 pm

I humbly submit a ditto to this. It will be fantastic to see if all/most of the season is in 'adventure' mode as opposed to the usual slice of life.

Just don't forget the power of the deus ex machina potion.

TaliaKirana

Postby TaliaKirana » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:23 pm

I think we may see a little more adventure, but I bet there will still be slice of life stuff. (I wouldn't want that to go away completely, it's part of the series charm.) "Castle-Mania" (Ep 3) and "Power Ponies" (Ep 6) will definitely be adventure, but I bet "Flight to the Finish" (Ep 5) will be more slice of life. "Daring Don't" (Ep 4) will probably be a mix, depending on how things play out. (Is it not obvious I've been keeping up with the news?)

Fair warning, spoiler for an upcoming episode below:
Honestly, "Flight to the Finish" is one of the ones I'm looking forward to the most. (If you've seen the animatic they released as a sneak preview back in the summer, the scene with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon picking on Scootaloo is from this episode.) I suspect we'll see more Dash/Scootaloo bonding out of this, building on what happened in "Sleepless in Ponyville." (Not that the other upcoming episodes are boring... this just has me intrigued more.)

MeatyMuffin009

Postby MeatyMuffin009 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:45 pm

I think a return to the adventure aspect will be a nice change of pace for the series. Slice of life is always good when it comes to this show too, but I'd like to see more of the world than has been presented to us thus far.

I like the Castlevania refrence with the upcoming third episode and I'm interested to see how Bats! (Ep. 7) will play out.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou shindeiru

Platinius

Postby Platinius » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:22 am

Slice of life have some limits, I mean once you have gone through the regular life of someone it becomes difficult to add more. Adventure arcs provide new experiences that change the perspective and scope of characters, which in turn lead to new and/or different approaches to old problems. In essence, adventure provides fresh baking material to your slice of life.
Life is an adventure, brave it with courage

TaliaKirana

Postby TaliaKirana » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Might as well just call this the S4 discussion topic...
Turns out "Castle-Mania" wasn't as much an adventure episode as I thought. Still, it was a fun episode. I mean, Twilight just about killed with some of the cute she pulled off at the start. The way they paired off and played off each other just ended up being hilarious. Lot of fun bits with the traps, and we really shouldn't have been surprised that Pinkie was the one behind the organ music. (Wonder if we'll ever know what was up with that mysterious figure at the end?)
Looking forward to next week, for sure!

MeatyMuffin009

Postby MeatyMuffin009 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:51 am

Okay. Here are my impressions on the season thus far (excluding the premier):

Castle-Mania had a fun Scooby-Doo mystery feel to it.

Daring Don't did a decent job of bringing a fictional character within a fictional world to life.

Flight to the Finish gave me my favorite song in the series thus far in "Hearts Strong as Horses", so I can forgive a little out of character writing.

Power Ponies was a lot of fun to watch even if it did feel incredibly short. Also the Mane-iac is a great villain.

I thought the Bats! episode was absolute garbage, but it was made up for quickly with Rarity Takes Manehattan.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou shindeiru

gamekid

Postby gamekid » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:22 pm

I thought they missed some great opportunities with Bats! but didn't feel it was complete garbage. Sorry to hear you were not a fan of it. :unsure:

I'm hoping for an Oregon trail reference in the upcoming episode.

MeatyMuffin009

Postby MeatyMuffin009 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:23 pm

I just felt that Bats! sent the wrong message and that the wrong character took the blame when the episode was over. There has never been any objection to Applejack running vermin out of her orchard before (as seen with caterpillars and rabbits) so why is there a problem now? It's not like she wanted to kill the bats. She just wanted to drive them off. And it was shown that the bats were animalistic in almost every conceivable way, so how would anyone expect a sanctuary to work when the parasites are accustomed to bleeding huge tracts of land dry each and every day? It's just naive to think that way. Applejack had the stronger argument because she was absolutely right. The honest answer to a problem isn't always the kindest, but it's usually what's needed.

The problem only started when Twilight thought it would be a better idea to use a spell to eliminate the only thing that made the vampire fruit bats what they were. First off, it didn't work with the parasprites, so why should it work here? And secondly, cutting corners only serves to make most problems worse. But they did so and, lo' and behold, it got worse.

I was also kind of irritated with the last ominous shot of Fluttershy's bat fang at the end of the episode. It made it feel like the episode's conflict hadn't really been resolved. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it just does. A lot of things just didn't sit well with me as far as that episode was concerned. I guess it might be the fact that I understand the plight of the farmer who's livelihood is at stake.

On a lighter note I am pumped for the newest episode and also hope that an Oregon Trail reference is on its way.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou shindeiru

Return to “General”