How do they hold weapons?

Chat about Ponyfinder, or anything else on your mind.
Tamara Bloodhoof

Re: How do they hold weapons?

Postby Tamara Bloodhoof » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:57 am

Why doesn't anybody love the cestus, they're brilliant weapons, work just like spiked gauntlets on the functioning terms, but happen to be piercing and bludgeoning....poor cesti :(

Horiatius

Postby Horiatius » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:22 am

David wrote:http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/gauntlet-spiked

Spiked gauntlets are considered armed attacks. Enjoy! :)

So it is, I was thinking of the regular not spikey version. >_<

Out of curiosity are there any plans to make pony specific weapons?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:28 am

When avoidable, we try retreading old ground. Since they can use -most- humanoid weapons, and there are books on books on books of weapons, why reinvent the wheel?

Is there a particular device you have in mind?

Jynnx

Postby Jynnx » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:38 am

Tamara Bloodhoof wrote:Why doesn't anybody love the cestus, they're brilliant weapons, work just like spiked gauntlets on the functioning terms, but happen to be piercing and bludgeoning....poor cesti :(

The cestus is actually kind of a weaker gauntlet, in my opinion.

The bludeoning is nice to overcome some DR (such as skeletons or the alchemical golem), but piercing hasn't really ever been all that exciting a damage type since the inception of the d20 system back in, what, 2000?

The -2 penalty on skill checks related to the cestus-wielding hand is kind of unattractive too. It's not important for all characters, necessarily, but you never know when the unexpected can happen and the only character in a situation to make a useful or necessary skill check happens to be the one with the cestus.

Lastly, the cestus, to my knowledge, can be disarmed. A gauntlet cannot.

The only real advantage of a cestus is the greater damage, and the greater critical threat range. But the damage difference is only one point between the two weapons. So even if you do score a confirmed critical, the base damage difference becomes a whopping...2 points.
Let me sleep through this time of pain,
And grant me innocent dreams.
Rouse me during the first summer rain,
When all the world's at peace, it seems.

Watch Jynnxed TV on YouTube!

Tamara Bloodhoof

Postby Tamara Bloodhoof » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:41 am

Actually, the cestus can't be disarmed just like a spiked gauntlet, and, in my opinion, it's better because it CAN be hidden or explained off as a workmans glove, while a spiked gauntlet is too obvious to be explained away. Besides, it's usable for druids as well :O

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:47 am

A cestus style horseshoe would be entirely reasonable. Bonus for its penalty being entirely irrelevant to ponies. As if they use their hooves for delicate work.

Or you could be an earth-bound pony and grab some hoof natural attacks with a feat or three.

Jynnx

Postby Jynnx » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:51 am

Tamara Bloodhoof wrote:Actually, the cestus can't be disarmed just like a spiked gauntlet,

That's good errata to know. I had to check my copy of Ultimate Equipment, because they seem to have missed that nice little tidbit from the PSRD. Ah, website handling.

Tamra Bloodhoof wrote:and, in my opinion, it's better because it CAN be hidden or explained off as a workmans glove, while a spiked gauntlet is too obvious to be explained away.

Now, that is a matter of personal opinion, and not one of game mechanics. Looking at its picture in Ultimate Equipment, I would fire any guard working for me who didn't consider that thing a weapon. It has spikes the size of eyeballs! At any rate, there are no rules that give it a bonus on Sleight of Hand checks to conceal the weapon (over the gauntlet), so it's a moot point. *shrugs*

Tamra Bloodhoof wrote:Besides, it's usable for druids as well :O

AFAIK, there is nothing preventing druids from wearing gauntlets. They are not considered armor within the context of the Pathfinder rules. In real life? Of course. But they are presented under the weapons tables, cannot be enchant with armor or shield qualities, and only affect your attacks. Metal or not, druids can use them, just like they can use the oh-so-stereotypical scimitar.

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Horiatius wrote:A lot could be done with just thinking pony versions of weapons. I heard the fun idea that instead of crossbows ponies could have back mounted ballista.

:-D that would be so cool!
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

Celest

Postby Celest » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:48 pm

I can find no erata on the Cestus being unable to be disarmed. Also, as pointed out, it is effectively an array of spikes over the knuckles and up the wrist, there is no way that would be explainable as a workman's glove.

Also, as pointed out, there are quite literally no negatives for wearing a spiked gauntlet.

edit: Yeah, scratch that, did some digging and it was an errata on the Paizo site.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ulti ... apons.html

Oh, and in regards to hiding it as a 'work equipment' I really don't think so:

http://www.sharpmountainleather.com/med ... d7b5_m.JPG

Jynnx

Postby Jynnx » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:19 am

Celest wrote:I can find no erata on the Cestus being unable to be disarmed. Also, as pointed out, it is effectively an array of spikes over the knuckles and up the wrist, there is no way that would be explainable as a workman's glove.

Also, as pointed out, there are quite literally no negatives for wearing a spiked gauntlet.

edit: Yeah, scratch that, did some digging and it was an errata on the Paizo site.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ulti ... apons.html

Oh, and in regards to hiding it as a 'work equipment' I really don't think so:

http://www.sharpmountainleather.com/med ... d7b5_m.JPG

Yeah, I had to go rooting through my copy of Ultimate Equipment. I like to refer to the d20PFSRD when I can, online, but sometimes they lag behind on some errata updates.

If you're running a crit-based unarmed fighter? Or my rewritten monk class? Then, yeah, the cestus is probably at least something to look at. Otherwise, it's a waste of gp. I mean, it's kind of chump change even at 1st level, but still.

Return to “General”