Best way to play with people who don't own the books.

Chat about Ponyfinder, or anything else on your mind.
Sapare

Best way to play with people who don't own the books.

Postby Sapare » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:56 pm

This might come over as a strange question, but I hope it is understood to be in good nature. If I am trying to run a 5 (4 players, 1 DM) man game with a bunch of people new to DND(or just Ponyfinder). What is the best route to help them with character creation, assuming they do not have access to their own copy of the book? The way the books are marked with my order number makes it obvious I am not supposed to just hand out the book, but a lot of this is really dense information that would be awkward to explain to someone over a skype call(my party is playing across Skype).

I am considering taking pictures of parts of the pages that are most relevant(the Attribute lines and Feats) and handing those out, but even that I fear might upset the creators of this book. So, outside of telling everyone to just buy 100 dollars worth of books, what is my best option?

David
Site Admin

Re: Best way to play with people who don't own the books.

Postby David » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Your physical book is yours. If you want to lend it to a friend to help them get in the game, I am not going to emerge from your closet with a bludgeon, promise.

They can grab the book later if they like it. <3

Sapare

Postby Sapare » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:15 pm

The problem arise though that I own the PDF version of the book, and the people I play with live far away. The only way to "lend" them the book is by lending them the PDF, at which point I have little assurance that they don't just keep a copy and send it onward when they want. I know the easy answer is not to give it to people you distrust, but I have learned over the years that trust, and loyalty, can swing easily with time.

In the end, I understand that it is my responsibility that if I lend someone the PDF and they do something bad with it.(like uploading it to piratebay or something) Which is why I considered giving people a cut down version covering only the most important stuff(the racial traits,feats and magic), so if they do something fishy with it at least I didn't cause the whole thing to be put into circulation.(and admittedly, to stop my name from being associated with it)

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:36 pm

Ah, my fault there, thought this was physical. PDFs are more tricky, yes.

Okay! Put it on google drive and share it specifically to your players. In the share menu, disable downloading and allowing others to add other sharers. They should be able to view but not download the pdf and life should be better.

Sapare

Postby Sapare » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:41 pm

I will do that then, thankyou for reply!

Return to “General”