Ponyfinder Inspirational Reading

Chat about Ponyfinder, or anything else on your mind.
Tamara Henson

Ponyfinder Inspirational Reading

Postby Tamara Henson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:15 pm

At the end of the 5th edition Players Handbook (Appendix E) there is a list of books and stories that a player or game master can use to get inspired to create a fantasy character and campaign. I was thinking of books that one could use for inspiration for playing in a Ponyfinder campaign other than the obvious My Little Pony. These are the ones I came up with...

* R. A. MacAvoy The Grey Horse (the main character is a pooka, set in modern times)

* Jennifer Alvarez The Guardian Herd Series ( Pegasi main characters)

* C. S. Lewis The Horse and his Boy (Narnia book #5 features talking horses as main characters)

* Robin McKinley Pegasus series (features pegasi, of course)

* Meredith Ann Pierce The Firebringer Trilogy (This book is highly recommended and I have heard it described as "My Little Pony for Grownups", mostly unicorn characters)

* Mary Stanton: The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West and it's sequel Piper at the Gate ( Watership Down with Horses instead of Rabbits)

Unicorns of Balinor Series (a children's series featuring unicorns)

* Jonathan Swift Gulliver's Travels (One of the places he visits is populated by intelligent equines)[/list]

And a 1980's cartoon

* Hanna Barbara Wildfire https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1PLPqseUHbfLicQPrxV5CQ

There is also these blog post on sentient equines from Tor Books http://www.tor.com/tags/sff-equines/

Can anyone think of anymore?

Xinef

Re: Ponyfinder Inspirational Reading

Postby Xinef » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:08 am

If we don't limit ourselves to equines, there was this animated series called The Dreamstone
It's a great parallel to how Luna vs Nightmare Moon struggle might look like, so of course it can also work for the Moon Princess vs the Night Mare.

A great inspiration for adventures taking place in dreamscapes, fighting against nightmares, and if you're tired of goblins, orcs, kobolds and similar overused enemies... why not use Urpneys for a change? :P

And I'm sure Wuts and pegasi would make great friends and rivals... let's see if a tree can be faster than a winged horse :D

Return to “General”